Ebook Readers – the floodgates open
In this month’s issue of PC User, I’ve written a number of stories looking at the Ebook Reader craze – the latest models, including the new Apple iPad, plus a look at Ebook formats, what they are and how they work.
We’re also produced a new video tool called RockPad, to enable you to turn all of your videos into the right format for the new iPad.
I’ve even taken a look at electronic-ink, what it is and how it works (damn clever, if you ask me).
While the e-ink type of readers have begun taking off in Australia, it’ll be the new Android-powered 7-inch and 10-inch netbooks that will be well worth looking at.
Apple’s hermetically-sealed iPad will likely suit those who are less used to computers but new tablets beginning to arrive this month from China through the likes of Officeworks and Pioneer Computers could well give us a good idea of where tablets are heading.
Google’s Android operating system delivers more of a choice to users than iOS and the freedom that seems to be disappearing from Apple’s system (if you’ve looked at developing iPhone/iPad apps in the last two months, you’ll know what I mean.).
With Android showing off what it’s capable of in smartphones such as the HTC Desire, it’ll be great to see what the OS is capable of in something a little bigger.
Google is still working behind the scenese on its desktop Chrome OS and considers it to be the main game in the future. In the meantime, Android offers the freedom that Apple lacks and without the need to do everything through iTunes.
The July 2010 issue of PC User is out now at all good newsagents.
- Microsoft shows off early Windows 8 on tablets
- Apple to charge $110 to fix dead iPad batteries – by giving you a replacement iPad
- Apple issue fix note for iPad Wi-Fi connectivity issues
- Pioneer Computers launches $AUD149 e-book reader
- iPad owners are an optimistic lot
- More delays for Apple’s iPad Australian release – now its June 7
- What price Apple to launch a netbook?
- RockPod 5 development begins
- Q&A – Can I read iPad e-books on other devices?
- Q&A – Will the iPad work with Windows or do I need to buy an Apple computer?
- Coming up – March 2012 issue of PC User
- Get PC User’s RockPod audio/video encoder – Free!
- Update 279 released for PC User RockPod 5
- Coming up – PC User January 2012 edition
- It’s up! Australian PC User has a new website!
- August 2011 issue of PC User – what’s coming up
- Build your own PC – July 2011 issue of PC User
- Huge month for July 2011 PC User
- New Android app in PC User’s July 2011 issue
- Coming up – May 2011 issue of PC User