Q&A – How long should a notebook battery last?
Eventually, the battery would stop taking a charge and instead of the two or three hours I’d used to get, the battery life just started falling away to barely more than 20 minutes.
So that raises the question – how long should a notebook battery last? Not just how many hours but how many recharge cycles?
Today’s notebook batteries are virtually all built on Lithium-ion chemistry. Unliek older Nickel-Metal-Hydride (NiMH) batteries, Li-ion packs do not suffer from “memory effect”, which occurred if you didn’t fully discharge the battery before charging it back up again.
The one drawback is that while NiMH cells would generally give you up to 1000 charge cycles, Li-ion generally only give you 500. Once you get towards that 500 mark, the cell’s ability to hold a charge deteriorates. The question is just how long it takes you to rack up 500 charge cycles. If you’re charging it three times a week, you’re looking at roughly three years.
- Q&A – Which rechargeable batteries should I buy for my digital camera?
- Q&A – How can I best look after my iPad’s battery?
- Lithium-ion notebook batteries – how to look after them
- Q&A – What’s the biggest trick to finding out notebook battery life from the specs?
- Q&A – How long do notebooks take to charge up the battery?
- Why battery cell counts are useless for knowing battery life
- Netbook buyers – beware the battery!
- Netbook comparison – which has the better battery life?
- Why does notebook battery life never meets vendors’ claims?
- QUICK TIP: Five ways to survive Christmas tech disasters
- Q&A – I bought a Windows 98 CD online but it won’t boot.
- Q. How do I run multiple commands on the Windows command-line?
- Q. Does AutoRip handle VOB files?
- Q&A – Can I use Wi-Fi to watch movies on my notebook?
- Q&A – Capacitive vs resistive touchscreens – what’s the difference?
- How to play Google’s doodle Pac-man
- Q&A – How do I put footnotes into a Word 2003 document?
- Q&A – Can my computer monitor show 3D movies?
- Q&A – Australian health reform achieves… what exactly?
- Q&A – What speed memory do I need for a new Core i-series chip?