My stories in APC magazine August 2014 issue

apc14augI have a number of stories in the August 2014 issue of APC magazine (out now):

* The cover feature is all about how to setup your own ‘ultimate home media jukebox’ and my part is showing you how to rip your DVDs and Blu-ray discs and converting them to H.264 video format using my brand-new APC Simple Video Converter 3 app. (H.264 is the ideal format, not only supported by virtually all hardware media players, but just about every mobile device too.)

* My Arduino Masterclass this month delves into the world of cryptography by showing you how to build your own Enigma Cipher Machine. My little ‘black box’ project is a functional replica of the genuine German Army Enigma with the exact wiring simulated in software. I show you how to build it as well as give you the software to make it work.

* My Android Masterclass looks at the secrets of USB charging. Just because you plug your portable device into a USB port and see the charge light come up is no guarantee whatsoever that you’re getting anything like the maximum charge rate. There’s a considerable science to USB charging. I take a look at the USB standards and show you ways to know just how well your charging ports are working.

This, plus lots more excellent stories are in the August 2014 issue of APC, out now at all good newsagents and stockists.

6 comments for “My stories in APC magazine August 2014 issue

1. Bill Metcalfe
    July 28, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Hi Darren, Installed Simple Video Converter 3 on my XP. Kept looking for file associations which I could not establish. Got frustrated. Decided to contact you (have done so in past). Your personal web site seems better equipped than APC site. Well done!!
    Have downloaded XP fix which I saw on Tech Life pages. Hope this will fix the issue.
    Regards
    Bill Metcalfe

• Darren Yates
      July 28, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Hi Bill,
      I forgot to mention that SVC3 only works on Windows Vista, 7 or 8 systems. Unfortunately, Windows XP doesn’t allow group entries in Windows Explorer. The version you have from TechLife is an older one. It won’t be as versatile as the new one, but it should still come somewhere close. If you can figure it out, you should be able to change the settings yourself and create your own Windows Explorer commands.
      I have no control over anything to do with the APC or TechLife websites.
      Cheers,
      Darren.

• Bill Metcalfe
      July 28, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Darren,
      Tried Tech Life fix. Options to convert video to smartphone or tablet or audio only now appears.
      Clicking on any option, results in ffmpeg (I think) screen for half a second, then nothing else.
      I tried with vob and mp4 files
      Hoping there is a fix available soon
      Regards
      Bill Metcalfe

• Darren Yates
        July 28, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Yeah, that’s happening because you’re using a version out of context. The TechLife version is a fix for the original TechLife app. You can’t use it with the APC one – it won’t work.
        Try changing the folder location – open up the registry file in Notepad and look at the c:\ folder directory – it’ll be something like ‘c:\simplevideoconverter’. You must change your current folder name to whatever is listed in the TechLife registry file, otherwise it won’t work.
        If this sounds too complex, please don’t try it as I cannot help you recover your system if you stuff it up. As I said, this app wasn’t designed for Windows XP and you’re using a TechLife app update to try and fix an APC app, which it was never designed to do.
        Cheers,
        Darren.

2. Noel Barlow
    August 19, 2014 at 9:41 am

Darren
    I attempted to follow your article ‘Run KitKat…’ but found that the live USB drive did not save any changes you make once booted. This so far has meant I have to re-do every change every time I boot. Am I doing something wrong and if so what?
    Noel

• Darren Yates
      August 19, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Noel, a ‘live distro’ doesn’t allow you to save changes – that’s how it can be used on an existing system and not upset the existing OS.
      The only two options are to install KitKat onto a real hard drive (which is what I recommended, but obviously that may mean taking out your original system OS), or possible through creation of a persistent USB partition on your flash drive. Unfortunately, Windows doesn’t allow you to do this and I’m not sure that Android will support a separate persistent partition (it’d be a bit like Apps2SD). Either way, to even try that you’ll need Linux and Gparted to create the second partition on the USB flash drive.
      Google ‘USB persistent partition’ for more.
      Cheers,